Sunday, January 20, 2008

Musing, Planning, and Preparing

It is a bright, sunny, -20F morning in mid-January in northern Minnesota. I am sipping coffee from the comfort of my couch, and enjoying the quiet and calm inherent in an early Sunday morning. The dog is stretched out on the floor, the air is filled with the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and the only sound is that of a muted train whistle somewhere off in the distance.

Immersed in this comfort and security, a solo unsupported bicycle trip up the Stuart Highway through the "Red Center" of Australia seems like a fantastic idea! Just the sort of adventure that allows a person to daydream while pouring over maps full of strange places with exotic-sounding names. A looming departure date also helps to motivate a cyclist to get on the trainer in the basement and help pass the long winter months until the roads are clear and the weather is warm enough to get out and ride without fear of black ice or frost-bite...

I have already purchased my airline ticket (non-refundable), so I am fully committed to the trip. The plan is to fly into Melbourne, sleep off the jet-lag at my buddy Jason's, assemble the bike and catch a lift to Adelaide. From there I'll round out my supplies with some fresh food and water, dip my wheels in the Southern Ocean and begin peddling north (thats "Nort" to you Minnesotans) towards Darwin, Timor Sea, and the equator.

In all I'm looking at a linear distance of 2200 miles, and a minimum of 30 days on the road. However, I'm not on a tight schedule and I'm planning to take this trip at a slower pace to allow myself time to explore and to experience more of the local flavor along the way. I've found that it's too easy to get caught up in the daily mileage and see nothing but the shoulder of a road, and rest areas for a month.

For now I have begun the process of refining my equipment list. I've spread out all the gear on the basement floor, and I hope to end up with a "lean and mean" kit that weighs in at around 35 lbs. This will be a difficult task due to the variety of winter weather in Australia. Historically conditions range from 40-60F in the south with the real chance of rain around Adelaide; very dry with a daytime high around 68F around Alice Springs, but dipping to below freezing at night; then changing to highs in the 90's with high humidity the closer I get to Darwin. And of course this could all be out the window with global warming playing havoc with climate.

In an effort to minimize the tools I may need and thereby keep the weight down, I'm making some improvements to the components on my bike- a 2006 Bianchi Volpe. I've already replaced the stock headset with a Chris King No Threadset. Pat at Outdoor Adventures in Grand Forks, ND is building new wheels for me around a set of Phil Wood tandem hubs, and will be replacing my bottom bracket with a Phil Wood bracket with a stainless steel spindle and of course Wood's sealed cartridge bearings. Finally, I'm considering replacing the STI shift/brake combination for a straight up set of brakes and then adding Shimano bar-end shifters.

This last modification is the result of an experience last summer cycling from Mobile, AL to the Canadian Border. I met a retired couple, Jerry and Shirley Smith from Kansas, riding a tandem in Mississipi. Jerry pointed out that if my bike falls and the brake/shift lever is broken then I'm out luck on both accounts, and that finding a replacement part might be tough. I filed the suggestion away under "not too likely", only to have the bike tip over on rest break and nearly shatter the lever within a few days! Thanks Jerry, I'm listening now!

By making these modifications I can leave the cone wrenches, bottom bracket tools, and grease at home. Of course that type of security comes at a premium, and I had to spend nearly a thousand dollars along the way. On the other hand, I can transfer these high-end components from bike to bike for as long as I'm able to tour, and enjoy the peace of mind they offer for years to come... worth it to me.

I'll be posting my entire equipment list once it's finalized, along with an itinerary. Posting will be sporatic until I hit the ground in Australia, and then will be subject to internet availablity. However, I'll be posting my daily log even if its done in bulk, a week at a time.