Friday, May 30, 2008

Final Equipment Tally





These photos show the complete and final set of equipment and supplies that I'll be traveling with, with the exception of my two water bottles that will be kept in their cages on the bike itself.

I've managed to streamline the kit as much as I dare. In the process I've shed several pounds from the load by omitting bags and containers that accompany many items like sleeping bags, Leatherman tools, etc. Also, I've replaced numerous items with lighter weight substitutes wherever possible.

Final Weights including the weight of the panniers themselves.
Handlebar Bag: 3 lbs 7oz
Front Panniers: 14 lbs 11oz
Rear Panniers: 16 lbs 2oz
Seat Wedge: 1 lb 15oz
Rear Add-on bags: 2 lbs 2oz
Dry Bag: 15 lbs 3oz

Empty weight of panniers: 13lbs 1oz
Total equipment weight: 40lbs 7oz
*Total carry weight: 53lbs 8oz

*Not listed is the varying weight of the water needed at different times of the trip.

As I mentioned I believe that I've eliminated everything I can... what I will find interesting is just how much more will find it's way into bins at rest areas as it becomes obviously unnecessary!