Saturday, May 31, 2008

Final Tune Up and the Mindset of Mastery

I spent yesterday evening in Grand Forks with Dave Sears getting a final tune-up and some modifications on the bike. Dave is a consummate professional, and while watching him work I became aware of one of the traits that I've noticed about true craftsmen over the years- the way in which they control the tempo of the activity that they are engaged in.

I first noticed this phenomenon as a kid, watching my cousin Denny evaluating a rifle. To the casual observer he was simply turning the weapon over in his hands a few times. But I became keenly aware of his level of absorption and focus. His casual conversation would continue during the evaluation, but he seemed to me to be on "auto-pilot". The tone of his voice would change subtly, his responses to questions would be a little too offhanded, and time just seemed slow down around in the room until his examination was complete.

There is a similar sense of calm, easy purpose, and an economy of motion when Dave is working on a bike that can only come from years of working through the trials and frustrations of any specialized activity. The result of this diligence, coupled with pride in one's work and a genuine love of the activity, is the "mindset of mastery". This mindset seems to cross all genres and activities, and it is the reward for learning to temper oneself... I have a LOT to learn in this area!

In addition to a comprehensive tune-up, Dave removed my failing STI shifters and installed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters and of course new brake levers (Tektro's). On his advice, today I'm replacing my rear cassette and putting on a new Sram chain. Of course then I have to put the bike through it's paces and get a feel for the new systems.

For me, having work done by a profession of Dave's caliber truly enhances my enjoyment of bicycling. First of all there is the HUGE increase in confidence that I have just knowing that nothing has been over-looked or done in a half-assed manner. Then of course there is the "feel" of having your finely-tuned machine run at it's optimum level. And finally, it's just fun being around people who genuinely enjoy what they do, and do it at the highest levels. THANK YOU DAVE, I wish you were coming along on this ride!!!