Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 33 Ti Tree to Barrow Creek


Today was actually supposed to be our day off, but with good weather and somewhat favorable winds we decided to push ahead to Barrow Creek. There was no sign of Dave when we left this morning so I left a note for him with the roadhouse figuring he'd stop for a snack or to see if we were there. We made reasonable progress and at a rest area I spoke with a guy driving south and he readily agreed to ferry a note directly to Dave down the road.

The note read that we were heading to Barrow Creek, and we would take the following day of so he could catch up. If he was in trouble he should send a not back up to us with a caravaner to Barrow Creek and we'd wait for longer for him or make arrangements to help him.

I arrived at Barrow Creek at 4pm and found that there were no rooms available, so I pitched my tent next to Andrew's. I learned from Helen, that it turns out that the hotel only has three rooms and they were all booked by contractors who were on site to work on the new annex of rooms -irony! I had a shower, and then Helen cooked us the THE BEST cheeseburgers we've had in Australia!! They were AMAZING!!

We spent the evening sitting outside and having a beer with Helen and Michael Romeo the bar manager. We got the full story on Barrow Creek as well as their own stories, it was a great time! The weather was relatively warm with a nice breeze... later it was a perfect camping night and I drifted off to sleep immediately.