Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 51 Adelaide River to Noonamah

We were on the road again in the pre-dawn light to avoid as much of the heat as possible. Riding was fairly pleasant until traffic started picking up... About 3 hours in, I was pulled over by a car that stopped up ahead of me on the shoulder.

I had a good rhythm going, so it was a bit annoying to have to stop and speak with someone. However, this gentleman was relaying a message from Dave, saying that he was in Adelaide river looking for us and would keep riding until he caught up with us. I do appreciate the kindness and consideration that so many motorists have shown us on this trip, and this situation was another reminder not to become too caught up in the "Us vs. Them" mindset.

This said, I did have a very close call with a road construction 3-trailer road-train that literally swerved at me to force me off the road! I would love the opportunity to discuss that situation with that driver...

Arriving at Noonamah we were shown to a brand new donger-style room. So brand-new in fact, that there were workmen still painting in several adjacent rooms. The owner was kind enough to let us store our bikes in one of the unfinished rooms, as our room was very small.

Dave arrived a few hours later, and managed to talk the owner into letting him sleep with our stored bikes for free. Jason made an appearance shortly thereafter, and we all enjoyed another evening of clever conversation, lubricated with a few beers! Tomorrow is the BIG DAY....