Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 1 continued




We were up at 6am and actually rolling at 8.10... Dave had some trouble with securing one of his bags. We took the requisit photos at the YHA in Adelaide and with a little trouble navigating we managed to actually make it out of Adelaide! I had asked for directions at the desk, but I really didn't "believe" the instructions they gave me... something about the number of "ummms" sapped my confidence.


Anyway, it was a PERFECT day for cycling, about 65f , no wind or a slight tail wind. We stopped at the Southlight service station and as I rolled in, there was Karla the Aussie sheep dog!! I was so happy to see her- I didn't know if she'd still be alive as she was very old when I met her two years ago. This was the spot where I was compelled to give up my first attempt to ride to Darwin due to the Pnuemonia. I was very emotional for me to be back here again today. I gave Karla a good scruffle and shared my sandwich with here. It was tough to say "good-bye" knowing that I'll never see here again.


We had a good day riding. Andrew and Dave are both stronger riders than me, but I just plodded along and we rolled into Port Wakefield at 3pm. We had booked a room, but opted instead to camp at the caravan park since the weather was perfect and the price was literally a fourth of that of the room.


We had a beer at the old historic pub, a very cool place to be sure!