Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 18 Poortnoura bush camp to Cadney Homestead








I cranked off 48 miles in 4 hours and 28 minutes today, but I could sure tell that we'd ridden yesterday. This distance/time may not seem too impressive, but considering my loaded bike is about 75 lbs, and then add the weight of 15 liters of water (3 days worth) to that, plus riding into an almost constant side or headwind, I'm doing ok.

It was a sunny, clear day and not too many hills. Andrew opted to camp tonight, but Dave and I are sharing a "room" at the roadhouse. The room is literally smaller than an average fish house, but with far fewer amenities... However, we did have a very nice meal and even a couple beers.

I spotted a couple burlap shoulder bags in the shop, and Dave bought them to use as front panniers. They are pretty cool looking in an outback Australia sort of way!

With the recent rains, the desert is in bloom. Everywhere you look there are the most amazing little flowers and such. I've included a selection of them, as they are far and away the best of the scenery from today!