Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 26 Stuarts Well to Alice Springs




I was up at 5.30am and had a good breakfast at the roadhouse. I was the first customer of the day, and when I walked up Jim and the cook were sitting having a smoke out back. After breakfast I asked Jim if I could get a photo of him and Dinky next to my bike... only to discover that my camera was broken!! I did manage to get it working eventually just long enough to get the photo, but in the process I became so flustered that I rode off without buying an iced coffee, AND I left my beaning hanging on a fence...nice.

The entire 56 miles into Alice was a headwind, however the winds diminished a bit for the last two hours. I took the requisite photos at the Alice Springs sign... and then discovered it was still 10km into town!!

I found Andrew waiting for me at the "actual" city limit and we rode on to the YHA to wait for Dave. Dave stayed behind in Stuarts Well to have a camel ride in the morning. We met up with a German cyclist along the way, and got a bit of road-ahead info. We waited for Dave 45 minutes past dark, and then left him a note and went to find something to eat... and of course ran into Dave on the way!

We are staying at "Annie's Place" and nice backpackers hostel with a funky atmosphere. It has good meals at around $8, and an on-site bar. We had a few celebratory drinks and stayed up late (10pm) running wild, haha!!

We are now half way through this ride!