Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 11 Lake Hart to Glendambo








I set my alarm to sleep in til 7 am, and of course woke up at 5am. I managed another pants-less toilet performance in the pre-dawn like on the salt flat. We leisurely packed up and had breakfast (powdered milk, cereal, tortilla with peanut butter and honey). We hit the road and cranked out 20+ miles before 10am. I took a brief catnap with my helmet cover over my face as the flies were really really "friendly" as Mary Taylor would say! I cranked out another 20 miles and took a second catnap, after which I called ahead to Glendambo to the roadhouse to reserve a room. Much to my surprise the attendant asked if this was John Leopold calling... Andrew was already there and had secured us a room.
The tap water is now undrinkable, and signs warn you to definitely NOT drink it. So instead I had to buy a 3-day supply from the BP station... I love the irony of having to buy clean water from BP! They also had a headnet!! I didn't pass it up this time.
9.45pm and Dave is checking on the bus schedule to possibly catch a ride ahead to Coober Pedy or Alice. His rear rim is beginning to split and spokes are pulling through. He ultimately opted to limp it along to Coober Pedy, but its definitely going to be "iffy" making it.