Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 19 Cadney Homestead to Marla



On the road peddling before 8am today - a nice semi-overcast day, and I rolled into Marla at 2.30pm. I had ridden 30 miles before Andrew caught up with me at rest area. As we pulled in we spotted an Aboriginal family whose car had run out of gas. We had a nice discussion and Andrew shared some of his spare water.

We saw Minnesota on the news last night at Cadney- tornadoes had hit Wadena and several other cities. So strange to see "home" featured on the news as an exotic tragedy and human interest story.

Dave forgot his batteries and charger this morning at Cadney (even after I reminded him) and ended up riding 5km back to retrieve them! Included in Dave's lost items list are: 3 towels, 1 t-shirt, 1 jar of cinnamon (recovered), and a sweat band... its become a bit of a running joke to see what items will make it onto the list!

I've just finished additional repairs on my tire pump, as it failed again this morning. I put epoxy all over the split head and hopefully it stays airtight until Alice Springs. I did manage to let 30lbs of air out of my rear tire this morning before realizing the pump was broken... nice!