Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 8 bush camp to Pimba "Spuds" Roadhouse





Today (June 9) started with my squatting against a water pipeline in the rest area/bush camp in the pre-dawn darkness... my feet slipped and I nearly fell into my own "mess". At our second rest stop, Dave and I met a woman named Mary Taylor. She is 92 years young and is touring around Australia in her little yellow Honda (license plate: JAZZ 5). She has been making these 37,000 km trips since she was 75! "Oh if we could just be 75 again..." She's even enjoyed Honda corporate sponsorship in past years- Good for you Honda!!

She had all sorts of fascinating stories, and has led an amazing life! Her husband was stationed in India during the WW2 and she was eventually evacuated out of Singapore. She gave us each an autographed copy of her book, and we each got a big hug and wished each other safe travels. What an amazing woman!!

The rest of the day was spent climbing long hills (up to 2 miles long). I also tried my solar charger on the mobile phone, and I'm happy to say it worked pretty well! We are at the Pimba or "Spuds" Roadhouse in room 2. I'm dead tired again after 58 miles. However, I found some consolation in the fact that even Andrew said today was a "bitch"!