Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 21 Marla to Agnes Creek bush camp






Once again I was anxious to ride... I woke up at 2.45am, 5.ooam, and again at 6. I was off into the early morning light by 7.15, but I only made a mere 15 miles before Andrew caught me today. The riding was tough and into the wind as usual. I took a brief nap along side a bridge after about 30 miles or so.

Revitalized I rode on to the next rest area where I was treated to some soda and cakes by a lovely couple- very kind of them! Trevor is a retired road worker who told me that he had lots of news for me about the roads ahead... all of it bad! Thank you for that. They were on their way south from Darwin where they'd been having a holiday to attend the funeral of a friend. They said they'd be driving back to Darwin "in a fortnight" so we may see them again near Tennent Creek.

Later, I had a man and his son pull up right next to me (and scare the hell out of me) while I was riding and ask if I needed food or water. Very gracious of them, even if their delivery was a bit unorthodox! Round about this time I realized that we've ridden out of the green grass sometime today, everything is turning brown.

We are camped at the Agnes Creek rest area. There is a constant cacophony of sound from the "correllas", a smaller version of a cockatoo we are told. Andrew said that "we will be lulled to sleep tonight by the gentle sound of an old woman being murdered!" I laughed my ass off at that one, and I'm still chuckling as I write this... that is exactly what those birds sounded like!