Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 22 Agnes Creek to Kulgera





Today we rode out of South Australia and into the Northern Territory!! Basically it was all uphill and into a constant headwind. I didn't apply sunscreen this morning and I'm regretting it. Andrew was tired and sore today, so we basically rode together. We all left camp late... not sure why, but it was 8.30 before I left, and later still for Dave.

Several people offered food and water again today, and we've begun noticing that when people drive past us they are either shooting video or photos. One guy was actually interviewing me for a bit while I was riding! Apparently we are becoming part of the "outback experience"....

With 20km left to go today, I had the bright idea that for once I would be the first person to arrive in "camp" at Kulgera. I learned that 44 does not beat 24, even when 24 is stiff and sore... although there was about a 10km stretch there where I actually thought I'd win. I was mistaken! With about 2km left, Andrew blew by me on a downhill run. That was that.

Now I'm paying for my bravado... I am exhausted and sore. I'll be taking it at a sensible pace tomorrow for sure!