Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 14 Bush camp to Coober Pedy




Up at 6am, fed packed and on the road by 7.30. The first 30 miles seemed effortless... almost too good to be true ("My wife and I rejoiced at our good fortune..." as Herb Heintz would say). I took a short nap, and when I got up a strong headwind had developed... Most of the day was hills, but they became more pronounced towards Coober Pedy ("...and then all manner of misfortune befell us"). The combined hills and headwind took a nice three-hour ride and turned it into a gruel"ing five-hour ride. By the time I rolled into to town I was just repeating "Don't stop, don't stop..." as a cadence in my head.

However, as I turned in to the city proper, I spoke with a lone hitchhiker named Jonathon. He had been standing in the same spot for over 7 hours waiting to catch a ride south... I guess my day wasn't the only tough one to be had in the area.

A shower, a pizza, and 2 beers and all is right with the world. Its 7pm and our big night out is over and we're going to bed. I'm sore, tired, and happy!